Tuesday, December 15, 2009

One of those days

The rain had been spitting throughout the afternoon and I only had a few moments to hunt. I dragged my reluctant teen with me as I was his ride home from school today. The clouds threatened, but the birds seemed game enough.

We couldn't find any squirrels. We tromped through the woods, prime habitat where i had flushed many squirrels this season. I knew they were out there, but I confess to being in a hurry and dashing along.

At one point I got yelled at by a bow hunter after deer. He was invisible. Even after he spoke, I had no idea where he was. I apologized for interrupting him and skedaddled along. I hate to ruin a hunt for anyone else, even if I do have the same right to be there. I realize I am loud and disruptive as I ho-ho through the forest.

At one point Tess was diving on a duck that sat in a vernal pond. She would swoop at the duck, and he would dive under the water. This continued for a good five minutes before I realized it would be a stalemate, with no good solution for me, and then I called her off.

We kept on, but darkness was closing in when we came upon the truck - and then we saw the first squirrel. The hawks gave chase, up the pine, moving to the neighboring trees for a better look.

The squirrel crossed, then crossed again through the next few trees. The hawks closed in, but were out of position. the squirrel reached the ground, where I lost it, and disappeared.

The hawks perched low, searching, but it was just too dark.

I called them back to the truck and we called it a day, driving out with the headlights on.

It was just one of those days.

No comments: