Monday, November 30, 2009

Rabbit hunters Christmas

Christmas is just around the corner. I don't know you nor how you hunt, but one thing you need if you are in the field a lot is a good set of chaps.

I don't claim to be an expert in the field of quality chaps, but I can tell you what I have learned over the last few years; quality counts when it comes to chaps and rabbit hunting.

When I first started in falconry, I was determined to catch rabbits, I did not at the time realize how far in between my rabbit kills would be and how few of them I would actually see. I also underestimated the pain.

Briers here are prevalent and thick. Without a good dog, I became the beagle. I had to thrash the thorns. I tried it with just jeans.

My legs got ripped to shreds. I would come home bleeding and torn, then I would pluck thorns from my knees for days (they pop right out if you leave them a couple of days). I've ripped my legs and shins on barbed wire and scraped through fence posts. Thank god for tetanus shots.

I tried bargain shopping for chaps. I did the pants with the canvas fronts, cabelas, light duty chaps, everything, and what I learned is that you get what you pay for.

I have had myy chaps now for three seasons and they are awesome. I can wade through briers and thorns that I wouldn't even attempt in anything else. And I hardly feel what I'm wading through.

They are made by Filson and are called Tin Cloth chaps. It is like wearing armor, and definitely worth the money.

If you are going to hunt rabbits on the Eat Coast I highly recommend them for Christmas.

No comments: