Saturday, January 3, 2009

End of the weekend










The falconry weekend is coming to a close. We ended up with four guys out hunting - Chris, Andrew, Mark, and myself- with a special, guest appearance from my younger son. We spent the day today hunting some new spots. This area was pristine maritime forest with towering pines and mixed hardwoods. We tromped up and down the hills until we finally located some
squirrels and had some great chases. Gonzo and Tess did fantastic, but the battle talon didn't hold up as well as I'd hoped. I'll have to figure how to fix that later on.




After we'd taken some squirrels in some really exciting chases, I had to leave the guys to their own devices, as I had an appointment with my kids. They went out and continued to hunt Chris's red tail. They tell me that the chase for the next squirrel was astounding, with his cool little beagel running around on the ground below. I guess I have to believe them, but the squirrel ended up the victor in that contest.




Next, we went north to Corolla to try Andrews bird. He's been having trouble with his bird for a while now this season. Today he was still having problems with the bird flying right, so we got it down on the fist and took turns feeling his keel. The bird was flying too thin. His weight was about the same as last year, but his keel was sharp and we decided that his bird's weight needs to be brought up 2 ounces or so.




I have been assigned dinner duty so I need to review the rabbit recipe that I found online. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: