Saturday, January 23, 2010

So it goes






It has been one of those weeks. Rainy, windy and nasty. I hunted on Wednesday, but the wind was blowing and the squirrels weren't straying far from home. I went out again today after two days of torrential downpour. We have had so much rain that even the high hunting spots are becoming inundated with water.



I had to wade through the woods in parts today. But Andrew and I spent a good two hours in the woods without seeing a single squirrel. We didn't even see one, let alone chase and miss any. By the time we were done, I could tell that the hawks were getting bored. They were migrating towards the edge of the field to try mousing, or the chase dicky birds unsuccessfully.

We did bust a couple of big coveys of quail - but the hawks were too slow. Andrew began wistfully talking about when his falcon is healthy and ready to fly.

We ended with nothing in the bag, but a nice slosh through the woods.

Went home to find everyone curled up against the cold.

I had stuff to do.

I got out the camera trap that I received for Christmas and finally got it set up. There is a game trail that runs right next to Tess's weathering area and I wanted to see who was using it.

I have seen plenty of deer back in that area - but I am wondering about fox and raccoon - maybe weasel. Plenty of water down here - maybe we'll see mink - who knows.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: