Monday, May 4, 2009

questioning Bees


I've always been fascinated by the prospect of beekeeping. I know virtually nothing about it, but the idea intrigues me. There are a number of bee keepers on the recommended reads to the right, and I have been following along. I understand the basic concept. I understand the need to feed, and winterize, tap and scrape - but I need a book.

There is beekeeping for dummies, which will probably work just fine for a beginner. But I never enjoy the writing in the Dummies books.

Some of my favorite falconry books are Bodio's books. Technically, they are not "how to" books, but I love them because the writing is so good.


Equinox, by Dan O'brien - is another great one. Just good writing about falconry.


And I can't forget Mullinex. He creates great imagery with his words.


Again, I realize that these aren't manuals on how to become a falconer, but I like how they write.

So here is today's question. If I could pick one good book - that is a pleasure to read - that can help me learn how to set up my first hive (maybe next summer, not this one). What would it be, and why?

Thanks.

2 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

Google up Brother Adam Buckfast Abbey. And go here:

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

and

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesoldbooks.htm

Click on the b&w pictures for classic books on be keeping.

Normally I would make better links but I'm a little short on time.

email me if you have questions, happy to help!

Regards,
Albert
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles.
The Range Reviews: Tactical.
Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit.

Doug said...

Thanks Albert!

Good site, I'm still perusing it - lots of information.

Doug