Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's day

My wife is good. When I travel alone, I hate to spend money on hotels. What I prefer to do is to find a campground and pitch the tent for the night. But when leaving for a trip immediately after work, I often stop for the night and it is already late. Too dark, and too late to pitch the tent. If I need to leave early the next morning, I don't want to take the time to pack up a tent either. So what are the options??

I've been pining for a new hammock. I figure this is perfect. I can string it between two trees in seconds, roll out my sleeping bag, and I'm done.

Obviously, my wife has been listening to my rants. In addition to some quality family time, she purchased a hammock for me.


Happy Father's Day!


I don't know if this is a common solution to avoiding hotels, but it seems like a good one to me

2 comments:

PBurns said...

Hammocks are great in warm weather, but in cold they compress the sleeping bag, and you basically have nothing undernearth you. I rigges a hammock-fly combo on an overnight winter bike trip some 35 years ago and almost froze to death!

Patrick

Doug said...

I completely agree that this is not the solution for cold weather. I'll still have to use the hotel option in the winter, unless I'm staying longer than one night. Or I will have to plan on taking the time to set up and break down the real tent.