Monday, April 13, 2009

Gracie Goes to Ground - sort of.

One of the great things about spending time up in upstate New York is that we get to spend a bunch of time outdoors with the dogs. So far, we've been able to get the dogs outside multiple times a day, wandering through the woods.


The little dogs love it, and they hang with the big dogs. The schnauzer doesn't swim, but will hang out when my parents' labs. Apollo (the yorkie), is learning his commands, come, stay close, etc.


We don't get to walk in the woods this much at home. The tics there are bad. I realize that sounds wimpy, but they are really bad. It is hard to take a walk when you know that you will spend a half an hour picking them off of you when you are done. So the only time we hike is in the winter.

My kids love it too. They can hike, and throw big rocks into the water. I'm not sure why the big rocks are still a thrill, but they love to do it.

Today, we came across four white tail deer that let my son and I stalk in fairly close. I couldn't get a good shot, as they were hiding in the thick brush. We counted their numbers as they bound away, white tails flashing.

We've been encountering a bunch of groundhog holes since we've been here. Gracie wriggled her way most of the way into the first, but couldn't get past the first bend in the pipe.


I knew a groundhog was at home, as I saw it disappear into the whole as we approached, but Gracie is just too big in the chest to make it further in than the doorstep.

I did have to pull her by the legs to get her out.

Since that first hole, she's been checking other groundhog holes we come across.


It makes me smile, and sad at the same time. Hopefully, I'll get up to Patrick's after the break to get my fix. I wonder if I should bring Gracie? If nothing else, she can stake out one whole to keep the groundhog from bolting. I'll talk to him. The hole below was dug out under a pile of slate, refuse and plastic buckets. I would have hated to break into this pipe

In the meantime, if you know of an adult terrier/ dachshund mix, with a wire coat, that likes kids and other dogs, and has a spannable chest - give me a holler.

1 comment:

PBurns said...

Bring her! She will have a blast.

Patrick