Saturday, April 11, 2009

Shooting




We went out to my brother's farm today. My kids love the farm. There is always stuff to see and do.


He has a barn, but not as many animals as he used too. We both inherited the chicken gene from my father and he has a bunch of chickens laying multicolored eggs for him. Actually, I really like his chickens, so I might steal some eggs from him when we leave, and then incubate them when we get home.


The kids rode back to the back forty on the four wheeler, laughing and screaming all the way, and the dogs got to wander a property full of new smells and sights. Graci spent most of her time by the chickens.


But the highlight of the day had to be the guns. My brother is an avid hunter and outdoorsman. He brought out the .22 for the kids to shoot at some targets.

My younger kids have never been near guns, and my oldest has only been shooting at boy scout camp. But they were all grinning from ear to ear.

Luke went first. He got pointers from Uncle Time, and Grandpa.

He lined up and he shot. He shot and shot and smiled the whole time.

He had a great time.



Next up was his brother, who shot at camp. He did great.

Then his sister. She nailed the target, right in the center.

The entire time, the grown-ups coached them on safety and responsibility. The kids took it all in. My wife, Traci, shot, putting a nice pattern on the target (taking out Osama in the process).

We talked guns. My brother got out his pistols and showed us all how to shoot them.


At the end of the day, we drove home, quiet and excited. The kids were exhausted, and Traci was nodding off in the back seat. It was a good day. I think we will be getting a gun of our own soon.

No comments: